This is a spin on the classic dish served with vegetarian bacon and with brown rice to make it healthier.
- 2 cups fat-free vegetable stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil, or more as needed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Hot pepper sauce
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup cubed celery
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 5 oz vegan bacon, diced
- 9 oz vegan meatballs
- Cajun or Creole seasoning
- Place vegetable stock in large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add rice, reduce heat to low and cook according to package directions.
- While this is on going, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté onion, peppers and celery for a few minutes. Remove from skillet, and set aside. With oil remaining in skillet, cook bacon and meatballs, adding more oil as needed. Sauté 5 or 6 minutes, and remove from heat.
- When rice is cooked and all liquid absorbed, add vegetables, bacon, meatballs, Cajun seasoning, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper to rice, stirring until well combined. Continue to cook 5 minutes more, and serve.