Combining chili with chocolate sounds like madness but with this recipe the chiles and chocolate add richness and a unique flavour to this chili.
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 large)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- Heat an oven over medium-high heat. Coat the container with cooking spray.
- Start adding onion, bell pepper, garlic, and turkey to container; sauté 8 minutes or until turkey is carmelized and vegetables are soft. Include sugar and next 9 ingredients to container, mixing to blend; heat to the point of boiling.
- Reduce heat; allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened, mixing occasionally.
- Add chocolate, mixing to melt. Ladle 1 1/4 cups stew in each of 8 bowls; top every serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream. Garnish with green onions