This cheesy and spice recipe is not only a great vegetarian dish but it can be modified for those who prefer to have some meat along with their vegetables with chicken or beef.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Add oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Sautee onion, and cook until softened, around 2 minutes. Stir in beans and corn, then include sugar, salsa, and pepper flakes; stir well. Cook until warmed through or for about 3 minutes.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of the butter in a big skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet, sprinkle equally with cheese, then top with a portion of the bean mix. Place another tortilla on top, cook until browned, then flip and cook on the other side. Soften more butter as required, and repeat steps with remaining tortillas and filling.