Short of cash to buy meat? No problem get some chick peas and get cracking on this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 heads broccoli, including stalks, trimmed and chopped (2 cups)
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup Parmesan shavings
In a large skillet (preferably one with a lid), warm olive oil over medium heat until hot. Carefully add onion, garlic and salt, and sauté, stirring often, until onion becomes transparent and garlic just begins to turn golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
Toss in broccoli; sauté for 3 minutes. Add chickpeas, broth and red pepper. Stir once, cover and cook for 3 minutes more, just to heat through and finish cooking broccoli.
Uncover, season with pepper, sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.