Full of protein and flavor, black beans can be served as a meal in themselves
, or as a delicious side dish.
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large green or red pepper, chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions (optional)
In a medium pan, add 4 cups water to 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 ½ teaspoons of the olive oil. Heat to the point of boiling. Mix in the rice, cover, and decrease heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is delicate.In a large saucepan, warm the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion, pepper, and garlic until the vegetables have gotten soft, this usually happens after 5 minutes. Include the beans, soup, vinegar, inlet leaves, dark pepper, cumin, and salt. Cover and heat up to boiling point. Reduce heat to low and let stew for 10 minutes; take out the bay leaves. Spoon the beans over the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.